Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Yamaha FZ6 Motorcycle - 2008 vs 2009

I noticed on the Yamaha website that the new 2009 Yamaha FZ6 is now available for sale. So, I decided to do a comparison to see if there is anything about the new model that makes it better than my 2008. I hope not, because I don't want to have to go out and buy another one.

It's difficult to see at first glance from the website what is different about the two motorcycles. We're off to a good start :-). Looking at the specs, it seems that the engine performance, size, and weight are the same as the 2008 model. According to the specifications, the only difference between the two model years is the color options and price! This isn't really that surprising, as there can't be a revamp every single year.

Moving over to the 2008/2009 Yamaha FZ6 features list I notice a couple of differences. The first is that instead of having a "Controlled-Fill aluminum frame" like the 2008, the 2009 has a "Controlled-Fill die-cast aluminum frame". So now it's die-cast aluminum, for whatever that's worth..?

The second difference that I notice is the addition of: "Dual 12V 60/55-watt multireflector headlight gives a sleek, R1-type profile for superb aerodynamics and visibility." One of the interesting things about the 2008 is that only one headlight is on when the low beams are active and both when the high beams are used. It seems that the 2009 model might just use both lights all of the time. That would be a welcome change. I get comments all the time that I have a headlight out. Well, I don't! That's just how it's made! Most of the time no one believes me. In addition, when looking at the two side by side, it's easy to see there is an aesthetic difference on the front end. Good or bad, I couldn't really say.

Left: 2008, Right: 2009










So, what's the price difference? $6,999 versus $7,290 for 2008 and 2009 respectively. And the colors? Seems they did away with Cobalt Blue and replaced it with Deep Blue. The Raven (black) option remains.

The final difference that is seen from the 2008 to the 2009 is that the comfort seat, which was only an option in 2008 is now standard. I don't know how much of a difference that will make, but it probably is one reason the price is now almost $300 higher.

I'll keep an eye out for 2009 Yamaha FZ6 reviews and opinions as more people start buying them and post some thoughts here.

Thanks for checking out my Yamaha FZ6 blog, and I think I'll stick with my 2008... for now.

Some information and pictures in this post are from the Yamaha Motor Official website.

3 comments:

Mike Oondee said...

What are some of the negatives of the FZ6? It looks like a really great bike, and I was looking into getting a standard type.

Captain Wonderful said...

Negatives... I've owned mine for about 1.5 years now and can only point to the fork springs from the factory and a slightly less than optimal seat foam density. Swapping the springs for some firmer ones and replacing the fork oil with some heavier weight stuff sorted out a somewhat wallowy front-end completely and the seat is only a minor gripe. I recommend increasing the rear shock preload if you weigh over 170lbs to match the front end once it's revamped - mid-corner control is hugely improved.

In short - It is by far the best real-life bike I've owned in over 20 years of bike ownership and 17 different bikes.

Super said...

Yamaha SA503 TVL – Yamaha Electric Guitar

Yamaha CV820wb Yamaha Electric Guitar

Yamaha Pacifica PAC112V

Yamaha AES620 SH

Yamaha Pacifica PAC1511MS

Yamaha Pacifica PAC112J

Yamaha Pacifica PAC212VFM

Yamaha Pacifica PAC012

Yamaha Pacifica PAC112XJ

Yamaha Pacifica PAC212VQM

Yamaha Electric Guitar Models

How to Play Yamaha Pacifica PAC112v Electric Guitar Video Review

Yamaha Electric Guitar