Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Yamaha FZ6 - First Impressions

I received my first Yamaha FZ6 motorcycle about three weeks ago now. Since that time, I've been able to do a bit of riding and get an idea of what the bike is all about.

For a little background... I've had a couple of Yamaha bikes prior to this one. Both were Yamaha R6 sport bikes. These bikes were both FAST... VERY fast. And, lucky for me, I like to go fast. Problem was, they were not very comfortable for longer rides. You sit hunched over the gas tank with hands and wrists at an odd angle when gripping the handlebars.

One of the criteria I had when deciding on a new motorcycle, and eventually the Yamaha FZ6, was comfort. The other, of course was speed. What I found in the FZ6 was a much more upright riding position (MUCH more comfortable for rider and passenger) and a speedy R6 engine.

One major difference, other than the previous two points, is that the Yamaha FZ6 does not have fairings on the side to cover the motor as does the R6. I never really had any sort of preference, I guess, but now that I have the bike, I really like the "naked" look.

So, how well does the Yamaha FZ6 fulfill my criteria? Fantastically!!

The Yamaha FZ6 is everything I thought it would be. The upright riding position is much more enjoyable for long rides and, to me, makes the bike easier to maneuver. As for speed, it's still in the break-in period and I haven't been past about 8,000 RPM. But even in this lower end, it's got some get-up-and-go. And from everything I've heard, the bike is a rocket-ship past 8,000 RPM. I'll keep you posted after I start really seeing what it's capable of.

My only complaints so far are the design of the seat, and the wind screen. I don't really like the seat design... I guess I'm used to the R6 seat. This is merely an aesthetic complaint and has nothing to do with comfort. The seat can be changed, however, and there are a number of after-market seats available that can spruce it up.

As for the windscreen, it doesn't deflect air as much as I'd like. At high speeds, I'm sure this could become a problem. Luckily I've found the Puig racing windscreen that I've heard helps quite a bit. This will likely be one of the first modifications I make to the bike.

Thanks for reading about my first impressions of the Yamaha FZ6 motorcycle. This blog is really worthless without pictures, so I'll take some as soon as I can and throw 'em up here.

1 comment:

Rob said...

I had a similar experience to you. I purchased a new 2008 FZ6 in late May 2009. I upgraded the windscreen (CalSci) and seat (Top Saddlery), as I was going on a week-long trip in late July.

I was also "good" durign the break in period, but only because I had previously test ridden a used FZ6, and tried out the "Mr. Hyde" side of the throttle range. Suffice it to say that I won't waste any time the rest of my life waiting in line at the roller coaster. It's parked in my garage.

The bike did great on the trip from Seattle to Jasper, AB. The most pleasant surprise was the fuel economy. I think Yamaha put it at 40 or 42 MPG. I ranged from 49 to 51, and that wasn't necessarily conservative driving. The trip was mostly two lane highways, and I had many passing opportunities, usually shifting down to 2nd and going really quickly from 40 to 90.

I look forward to reading the rest of your current & future posts..