Thursday, July 31, 2008

Yamaha FZ6 Modifications to Consider, Part 3

This is Part 3 of my series related to modifications for the Yamaha FZ6 motorcycle. In Part 2 of the series I discussed some modifications related to grips, levers, and rearsets. In Part 3, I'm going to explore the benefits of fender eliminator (FE) kits, mirrors, and turn signals. This is a great time for me to discuss FE kits, as I just ordered one from ebay, and I'm anxiously awaiting its arrival. With a new fender also comes the obvious opportunity for replacing the stock turn signals. So, here we go:

  • Fender Eliminator Kits - Fender eliminator kits for the Yamaha FZ6 are designed to replace the large rear fender, usually with a more compact piece. Many sport bikes come with a large, usually unsightly rear fender onto which the license plate mounts. The fender eliminator kits are aimed at cleaning up the look of the rear end and giving a more sporty appearance. The benefit of a fender eliminator kit is primarily, if not exclusively, aesthetic. There is no performance benefit that I can think of that would come from installing an FE kit. I actually just ordered a kit from ebay and it should be arriving in the next couple of days. Expect a post about the install with before and after pictures. Before purchasing one of these kits it's important to decide what you'd like to be included in the kit. The piece I ordered allows for the stock turn signals and license plate light to be re-used. This is one reason I ordered this particular FE kit as I believe that the original lights are large and easily seen and distinguished by other motorists. Also keep in mind that in order to be legal, you must have a light for the license plate. Some FE kits don't include any lights, such as the one I purchased, and some come with all new aftermarket turn signals and license plate lights. The lights that come with some kits are very small LED lights which are mounted exceptionally close together. To me, this is just an easy way to make it harder for other motorists to see what you're doing. Later in this post I'll discuss some of the options for after-market turn signals.
  • Mirrors - There are a number of options available with which to replace the stock mirrors on the Yamaha FZ6. Some find that they cannot see behind them very well with the standard mirrors. Personally, I find that the stock mirrors do just what I need them to do. Additionally, changing mirrors can also change the overall look of the bike. Some simply don't like the way the original mirrors look. Options include mirrors that mount in the same place, but have different finishes and shapes, and mirrors that mount on the bar ends and have different shapes, sizes, and finishes.
  • Turn Signals - The turn signals that come with the Yamaha FZ6 are large and orange. This is to ensure that they meet all state and local laws pertaining to proper turn signal mounting, color, etc. Some people just don't find these lights appealing and want to replace them with something a bit more sporty and inconspicuous. The advantages to after-market turn signals are aesthetic and safety related. The aesthetic value is obvious, and the safety benefits are debatable. Many of the turn signals available for the Yamaha FZ6 will mount flush on the front, and similarly on the back and are markedly smaller. Some simply have a different shape and/or lens color. My personal view is that smaller lights, even though they might be brighter, are not necessarily better. I'd rather have other motorists be able to see the lights and be able to tell where I'm inteding to go as easily as possible. It is also worth noting that there are replacement tail lights available that include functionality to show directional signals. This would negate the need for any additional turn signal at all.
Thanks for checking out Part 3 of my series about Yamaha FZ6 Modifications to Consider. In the fourth and final post of this series I'll be discussing:
  • Brake lines
  • Brake pads
  • Frame Sliders
  • Air Filter

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi, I'm a new rider and a new owner of a Yamaha FZ6. So far I haven't really pushed the bike to its limits as I'm getting familiar with the bike and also building my skills. What I've noticed so far is that at times I feel as if the bike is a little underpower and I'm constantly looking for gear 7 since I think the bike is revving a little too high. So far I've ridden on it close to 500 miles. So still within the break-in period. The mods I've done so far are the FE kit (which eliminated the stock lights and added a smaller version - still visible to other drivers) and also changed the windscreen to the double bubble type you mentioned in your site. I would like to change the seat since it could get a little uncomfortable. Aside from that, the bike has been great for a first bike and I forsee keeping it for a while and perhaps upgrade to an FZ1 (which is the 998cc touring version of the sporty version). I enjoy your blogs and looking forward to more information.

Kurt Klimisch said...

Just saw the blog, looking to buy an FZ6 soon, will keep reading, keep it up.